Voluntary Crime Free Housing Program
**NEW VOLUNTARY CRIME FREE HOUSING PROGRAM**
All landlords now have the option of participating in the Swansea Voluntary Crime Free Housing Program. To participate in the program landlords must do the following:
- Complete a crime free housing training course offered by the Village of Swansea, or provide the Village proof that you have previously completed a crime free housing training course in one of the following municipalities:
Belleville, Fairview Heights, Granite City, O Fallon (Others upon review by Swansea Staff)
THE VILLAGE OF SWANSEA WILL HOLD CRIME FREE HOUSING TRAINING ON DECEMBER 9TH, 2021 AT THE SWANSEA POLICE DEPARTMENT – 1400 NORTH ILLINOIS ST SWANSEA. CLASSES WILL BE HELD at 6:00 P.M. YOU MUST CALL THE VILLAGE AT 618-234-0044 TO RESERVE A PLACE AT THE CLASS IF YOU HAVE NOT PROVIDED THE VILLAGE PROOF THAT YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY COMPLETED A CRIME FREE HOUSING TRAINING COURSE.
- Conduct (or cause to be conducted) US Comprehensive background checks of all tenants 18 years of age or older. Background Check Resources ...Click Here
- Provide the Village of Swansea a US Comprehensive Criminal Search Verification form for all tenants 18 years of age or older. This form will state that you as the landlord have reviewed all US Comprehensive Criminal Searches for all tenants 18 years of age or older prior to executing a lease or rental agreement. The Village of Swansea does not want copies of the actual background checks; however random audits will be conducted. Additionally in the event a tenant commits a crime, the Village of Swansea will require the landlord to provide copies of said background checks.
- Provide the Village of Swansea a Crime Free Lease Addendum. This form outlines an agreement between the landlord and tenant(s), in which the tenant(s) understands that if the tenant commits certain crimes the landlord will take lawful actions to impede further criminal activity.
- Respond to all correspondence from the Swansea Police Department and Swansea Building and Zoning Department within 10 business days.
- Abate any Swansea municipal code violations within the specified timeframe without exception. (Extensions of deadlines shall be on a case by case basis and must be formally requested in writing to the Building and Zoning Director).
- Landlords living more than 50 miles from the rental property must have a local manager assigned to respond in the event of an incident.
- Property Management Companies must notify the Village, in writing, when they no longer manage a property.
As an incentive to landlords participating in this voluntary program the Village of Swansea will do the following:
- Give a discounted rate for annual landlord registration of $25 (instead of the $100 fee).
- Provide the landlord with timely reports of all code enforcement and Police Department cases related to the rental property.
- Recognize participants on the Village of Swansea website.
- Provide participants with the Village of Swansea crime free housing seal for their use.
- Availability of Building and Zoning staff and Police Department staff for presentations (for example a K9 demonstration).
- Availability of Building and Zoning staff and Police Department staff for environmental safety inspections of rental property.
- Direct contact with the Swansea Police Chief and the Swansea Building and Zoning Director.